Tuesday 23 October 2012

October 23rd


1) Grade 4 science due tomorrow
2) Finish math textbook work

  • Grade 4's, pg. 22 #1-2
  • Grade 5's pg. 16 #1-2
3) Start working on health assignment - DUE Monday, October 29th

  • Today, students started a health assignment in class. We'll talk about it more in class tomorrow, but tonight and tomorrow morning students should be recording what specific foods they have for snacks, dinner and breakfast. Charts should be used to fill in specific details about the foods they will eat. 
3) Finish your 5 sentences on your Ten Times Challenge sheet. 

Today, in class we reviewed our personal decalogues. We then found the 'weakest' sentence (usually the shortest) and rewrote it five times. This is a simple revision technique to try and make us think about alternate ways we can structure a sentence(s). There is no right way to do this.

Below you will find my weakest sentence (in red) and the nine revisions that the class came up with. 

Once, while riding my bike I fell off and hit my head extremely hard.
  1. One day while riding my extremely cool bike, I fell and smashed my head like a rock. 
  2. One time while riding my fancy bike, I fell and smashed my head, and needed several stitches
  3. While riding my extremely cool bike, I stumbled off my bike and I needed stitches. 
  4. While riding my bike, my bike tripped over a huge rock. I fell off and got really injured. 
  5. A day that I was riding my I then fell on my head extremely hard and needed help.
  6. I was riding my bike on an extremely hot day. I was looking up at the sun and wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and then fell. 
  7. One day in the afternoon, I was riding my bike alone and I was riding on a street and I fell off my bike and smashed my head on the bars of the bike. 
  8. One day I was riding my bike and I let go of my peddles and fell down and had to go the hospital. 
  9. Looking down at the pavement, I knew I was in for a hard landing. Unfortunately, my head was going to hit the pavement first, and it did. The thud was weird, the blood gushing out of my forehead was even worse.