Friday 19 October 2012

Decalogue Writing Activity

Our class has started writing decalogues. A decalogue is simply a list of 10 ideas or beliefs that someone has about something. The most famous decalogue is the Ten Commandments. This weekend, you should complete the ROUGH DRAFT of the PERSONAL decalogue you started today (Friday).

Below is a list of ideas for our decalogues. We brainstormed together and came up with this great list. The list is composed of dot jots (bullet points). I have also put an included my rough draft of my own decalogue if you're having a hard time not knowing where or how to start. Finally, please try and use our class success criteria when creating your decalogue.

Success Criteria 


  • I have written ten detailed points 
  • All my sentences are about the same topic 
  • I haven't created a favourites list (Eg. my favourite sports, my favourite foods) 
  • Each new point starts with a different word 
  • I have only used the word I to start one of my sentences 
  • I have a list of TEN points about me 

My Example that I shared with the Class (this is a rough draft!) 


The Ten Things I’ve Done in my Life to Look Silly 

  1. The giant rug burn on my nose made me look very silly. I thought I was Super Man and jumped off my living room chair. 
  2. Falling on my back in a massive mud puddle when playing flag football with my grade 7 students made me look very very dirty. 
  3. When I first got my license I accidentally drove the wrong way home when trying to drive from Toronto to North Bay. I ended up in London, Ontario before realizing I was driving in the wrong direction. 
  4. I once ran full steam into a jungle gym with a sweater tied around my face. OUCH! 
  5. My dad sat me down and told me he was disappointed in me, I was extremely embarrassed. 
  6. Once, while riding my bike I fell of and hit my head extremely hard! 
  7. Walking up the stairs, then tripping is really hard to do for a grown man. I still managed to do this with a full cup of coffee once. Needless to say, I had coffee all over me! 
  8. There was a giant gash in my hand after accidentally driving a riding lawnmower into a huge rock. I was looking down at the ground to make sure I didn’t run over a tiny shrub, and failed to see the massive chunk right in front of me. 
  9. Scoring on your teams’ own basket in basketball is a great way to lose favour with your teammates. 
  10. Jello streaming out of my nose was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. Laughing while wolfing down Jello is never a good idea. 

Ideas for Personal and 'Extra-Personal' Decalogues 




Extra-personal 
Personal 
the reasons why I respect my father 
things that make me nervous 
things I appreciate about my mother 
times in my life when I looked silly 
why my best friend Ted is a great guy 
things or times that make me scared 
ten things that are amazing about my family
things that make you jealous 
what my sister is afraid of 
skills that I’m really great at 
why most adults like coffee
things that make me mad 
how adults are different from kids 
What your idea of a game or good time is 
why my friend is helpful and picks me up when I am down 
my favourite sport**
why I wish everyone the best 
things I do in my free time 

how I can help people 

favourite shoes***

favourite TV shows 

weaknesses 

ten things about how I look or how I am unique